Jurors in the trial of six teenagers accused of murdering a 14-year-old boy witnessed the moment he fatally fell from a friend’s bike.
Gordon Gault was stabbed with a machete while riding on the back of an e-bike in Newcastle’s West End on November 9, 2022, and died in hospital six days later.
Newcastle Crown Court heard the attack, which also left one of his associates slashed in the back, came against a backdrop of violent clashes between two groups searching for each other that night.
Six defendants, aged between 16 and 18, deny premeditated murder and bodily harm.
The jury has seen CCTV footage from various cameras showing the movements of the two groups before and after the incident.
And they saw black and white footage of Gordon being driven away from the scene on his friend’s e-bike before falling to the ground at Sovereign Place in Newcastle.
The driver then uses his phone and other teenagers, who have not been identified, gather at the scene.
The jury was told paramedics were called and took the teenager to hospital but he could not be saved.
The court heard Gordon left a trail of blood from where he was attacked to where he was picked up by emergency crews.
The defendants are: Benedict Mbala, 18, of St John’s Walk, Newcastle; Carlos Neto, 18, of Manchester Road East, Manchester; Daniel Lacerda, 18, of Paddock Close, Ferryhill, County Durham; Lawson Natty, 18, of Eastgarth, Newbiggin Hall Estate, Newcastle, and youths aged 17 and 16 who cannot be identified.
The jury was previously told that Neto handled the machete that inflicted the fatal blow, but prosecutors said all members of the group were guilty by common intent.
The case was adjourned to Tuesday.
The best videos are delivered daily
See the stories that matter right in your inbox
Source : www.newschainonline.com