A 28-year-old man has been found guilty of murdering a cricketer who confronted his killer after spotting him holding hands with his ex-girlfriend.

Cameron Baker, from Sandown, Isle of Wight, was found guilty by a jury at Winchester Crown Court of stabbing Thomas Barton to death outside an address in Park Road, Ryde, in the early hours of May 28.

A second man, Rio Scott, 28, from Ryde, was acquitted of murder and manslaughter and released following jury verdicts.

Christopher Quinlan KC, prosecuting, told the jury that Mr Barton, 30, had seen the defendants outside a bar in Ryde the previous evening with his ex-girlfriend Sammi Creed.

He said that Miss Creed – who had broken up with Mr Barton two months earlier – was holding Baker’s hand, which, she later told police, was because he was drunk.

Mr Quinlan said: “She remembered Tommy saying, ‘Are you going to do me like that?’, meaning she had wronged him.

“She said her reaction was to let go of Cameron’s hand.”

Despite the efforts of the public and emergency services, he died where he fell

Mr Quinlan said the group then went to other bars before later returning to Park Road, where Mr Scott lived.

The prosecutor said Mr Barton later arrived in Park Road in the early hours of the morning in a car driven by his 84-year-old father.

He knocked on the door of Scott’s house with his father’s walking stick, but when there was no answer, Mr. Barton and his father drove away, only to return a while later.

Mr Quinlan said Mr Barton, who played cricket for clubs in Ryde, Ventnor and Lymington, intended to confront the group but was himself attacked and suffered multiple stab wounds.

He added: “Despite the efforts of the public and emergency services, he died where he fell.”

Mr Quinlan said the two defendants were arrested and Baker said in an interview that he had acted in self-defence, while Mr Scott said he was not involved in the incident.

A CPS spokeswoman said: “In anticipation of Mr Barton’s arrival, Baker armed himself with a boiling kettle and a large knife before waiting outside the door.

“A brief scuffle ensued in which Mr Barton was scalded by boiling water and then stabbed twice in the chest – suffering a punctured lung and a fatal heart wound.”

“The victim staggered away from the scene before dying in front of his father and the public.”

The judge, Mrs Justice Cockerill, adjourned the case for sentencing on December 12 and remanded Baker in custody until then.

Detective Chief Inspector Andrea Douglas, lead investigating officer on the case, said: “Our thoughts remain with the family and friends of Tommy Barton, who was tragically killed by Baker.”

“Baker demonstrated a shocking display of extreme violence that not only resulted in one young man losing his life, but also destroyed the lives of many others in the process.”

Ruth Sands, senior prosecutor for CPS Wessex, said: “Mr Barton, a young father, was unarmed when he confronted Baker. The fact that he was murdered so quickly and brutally underlines the lasting impact that knife crime can have on a person’s life.

“Let this case serve as a stark reminder to those who use knives to commit violence that they will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”

The best videos are delivered daily

See the stories that matter right in your inbox


Source : www.newschainonline.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *