United States Marine Corps Maj. Gen. Chris A. McPhillips reportedly announced Tuesday that the 248th Marine Corps Ball has been canceled by U.S. Central Command due to “unforeseen operational commitments.”
Announcement of cancellation of this year’s Marine Corps Ball, McPhillips wrote“It is with regret and with a strong sense of duty that I write to inform you of a decision I have had to make regarding the 248th Marine Corps Ball, scheduled for November 16, 2023. Due to unforeseen operational commitments and the nature of our current mission, it is with great regret that we must cancel this year’s event.”
The U.S. Marine Corps Central Command just announced that the 248th Marine Corps Ball scheduled for November 16th has now been canceled due to “unforeseen operational commitments and the nature of our current mission.” pic.twitter.com/8MOmnvGvyo
— OSINTdefender (@sentdefender) November 1, 2023
McPhillips explained that Central Command’s decision to cancel the 258th Marine Corps Ball is based on the Marine Corps’ “primary responsibility” to ensure the defense and security of the United States. “It is this commitment to duty that has necessitated the cancellation of what would undoubtedly have been an extraordinary evening of camaraderie and tradition,” he said.
According to the US Central Command website, CENTCOM’s area of responsibility covers over 4 million square miles with numerous opportunities for “tension and rivalry.”
“The central region is one of the least safe and stable places in the world. Hostile relations between neighboring states, widespread ethnic and sectarian strife, malign influence and destabilizing activities, cyber-based threats, and growing arsenals of sophisticated conventional weapons and weapons of mass destruction threaten all vital national interests of the United States and “Our Trusted Partners and Allies,” said it on the CENTCOM website.
READ MORE: Video: Top Marine general hospitalized after heart attack: report
The Marine Corps Ball announcement comes amid rising tensions in the Middle East, including the war between Israel and Hamas, which began after Hamas terrorists brutally attacked Israel last month. In addition, the Defense Department has recorded a total of 27 attacks against US forces in the Middle East since October 17. On the same day as the cancellation announcement, the Pentagon announced the deployment of 300 additional US troops to the Middle East.
In his announcement, McPhillips expressed gratitude for the “immense effort” of those who put considerable time and effort into planning and preparing for the 248th Marine Corps Ball. The general noted that the cancellation of the Marine Corps Ball was a “reminder of the sacrifices” that U.S. soldiers, particularly Marines, make on behalf of the nation.
McPhillips added: “Please understand that this decision was not made lightly and the primary consideration was the need to maintain the highest standards of readiness and fulfillment of our operational responsibilities.”
Source : americanmilitarynews.com