Spain beat England to win the Women’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand last month
Spain’s players have reiterated they are boycotting the women’s national team despite being named to the latest squad.
Fifteen members of the team that won the World Cup last month have been included in a squad for upcoming Nations League games.
A group of 81 players boycotted the national team after then-Spanish federation coach Luis Rubiales kissed striker Jenni Hermoso after last month’s final.
The dispute led to Rubiales’ resignation.
On Friday, 39 players – including 21 of the 23 world champions – said their strike would continue until further changes were made and that they did not yet feel “in a safe place”.
Two-time Ballon d’Or winner Alexia Putellas was among 15 players called up to form the victorious squad in Australia and New Zealand. However, Hermoso was left out.
The players later released a statement issued by Futpro emphasizing that the boycott remained in effect and expressing regret that they had once again been “put in a situation we never wanted to be in.”
They added that they intended to investigate the possible legal consequences of being called up against their will, saying: “We will investigate the possible legal consequences that the RFEF (Spanish Football Federation) subjects us to by putting us on a list, “We asked not to be called for reasons that have already been explained publicly and in more detail to the RFEF in order to make the best decision for our future and our health.”
This was the first squad announcement from new coach Montse Tome, who replaced Jorge Vilda, considered a close ally of Rubiales, after he was sacked earlier this month.
Tome, who was Vilda’s assistant manager, is the first woman to hold the position of Spanish women’s manager.
The RFEF had previously called on striking players to return to the national team on Monday. The organization had previously stated that players had “an obligation” to play if selected.
“We stand with Jenni,” Tome said.
“We believe this is the best way to protect her, but we are counting on Jenni.”
Barcelona duo Mapi Leon and Patri Guijarro, who were not included in Spain’s squad for the World Cup after signing an open letter against then-coach Vilda, were also named in Tome’s squad.
“It is the beginning of a new phase, the clock is ticking,” said Tome.
“We have nothing behind us and we really want to engage with these players.”
Watch: Rubiales’ day in court over World Cup kiss…in 86 seconds
On Friday, the 39 players who boycotted the national team released a statement saying they would not return until further conditions were met, including the reorganization of certain departments within the RFEF, adding that they had not yet ” “felt in a safe place.”
The RFEF responded by expressing its commitment to change “to restore the viability of the company.”
The Spanish government also assured players that changes will be made and there will be greater representation of women in the association.
Rubiales was banned from moving within 200 meters of Hermoso, who said the kiss was non-consensual, after the 33-year-old filed a legal complaint.
When Rubiales appeared in court for the first time last Friday, he denied sexually abusing Hermoso.
Source : www.bbc.co.uk