Spurs are continuing negotiations with Forest over the 22-year-old, valued at £50m by the Midlands club, and are hoping to strike a deal – although they have yet to make room in their squad by bringing in a number of unwanted players dismissed .
In a bid to lower Forest’s asking price and free up the tickets, Spurs have offered partial swaps to players including Davison Sanchez.
Johnson is said to have backed a move to Spurs, while Ange Postecoglou is a big fan of the Wales international.
As a young, homegrown player who can play at the front line, Johnson is just the ticket for Postecoglou’s new side. Spurs are aiming to drastically lower the side’s age profile after selling Harry Kane to Bayern Munich for £100m.
Johnson, a product of Forest’s academy, has played 108 senior games for the club, scoring 29 goals and providing 12 assists.
At Brentford, three offers for Johnson have been rejected by Forest, the last reportedly being worth £43m and they are now understood to have turned to other offers. If Forest agrees to lower their asking price before Friday’s deadline, the Bees could still renew their interest but are looking to secure more firepower to cover the absence of the suspended Ivan Toney. Brentford, who also applied for Fiorentina’s Nicolas Gonzalez this month, has been linked with PSV Eindhoven winger Johan Bakayoko and Lyon’s Bradley Barcola.
Meanwhile, Leeds are in talks with Spurs over a loan deal for unwanted defender Djed Spence.
The Championship club want to loan the 22-year-old out straight for this season, with no option or commitment to buy him next summer, with talks still ongoing.
Djed Spence was instructed to find a new club.
Leeds have already loaned defender Joe Rodon from Spurs until the end of the season.
Spence was reluctant to return to the Championship after joining Spurs from Forest last summer in a deal worth up to £20million. However, he was told that he was not part of Postecoglou’s plans.
Spurs also want to sack Sergio Reguilon, Tanguy Ndombele, Hugo Lloris and Japhet Tanganga. Manchester United have been given a chance to make a bid for Spurs midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in the final days of the transfer window.
Hojbjerg would happily leave Spurs, where he is no longer a guaranteed first-choice midfielder and has two years left on his contract.
The Dane previously worked with United manager Erik ten Hag when the Dutchman was in charge of Bayern Munich’s B team.
Postecoglou is confident Spurs will sort out the future of a handful of unwanted players, including former record signer Ndombele, before Friday’s deadline.
“Tanguy is in the same boat as a couple of other guys,” Postecoglou said ahead of tonight’s second round of the Carabao Cup in Fulham. “I said the other day that we have five or six more players than we can put on a list.
“All of these things depend on the decisions people make, whether it’s individual players, whether it’s affecting me. We have four or five in this boat. I’m sure things like that will work themselves out this week.”
“He’s still training. He works hard at training. But we’re doing really well in midfield at the moment.”
“You saw the guys who started on Saturday. Skippy was really good, Pierre and Gio [Lo Celso] trained well. It was quite competitive in that area. I think this week will resolve a lot of these things that I expect will be resolved.
Source : www.standard.co.uk