Israeli authorities said a rocket was intercepted near Eilat after the Houthi leader earlier vowed to continue attacks.
Yemen’s Houthi rebels have fired ballistic missiles at various Israeli targets, including the Red Sea city of Eilat, the group’s military spokesman said.
The launch came “after 24 hours of another military operation of drones on the same Israeli targets,” the spokesman said on Tuesday.
The Israeli military said it intercepted a missile near the Red Sea.
Israel said it used its Arrow air defense system to shoot down a missile on Tuesday after sirens sounded in the port city of Eilat. Israel says the projectile did not enter its territory and has not said who fired it.
Previously, the Yemeni Houthi leader said his group would continue to launch attacks against Israel.
“Our eyes are open to constant surveillance and searches for Israeli vessels in the Red Sea, particularly in Bab al-Mandab and near Yemeni regional waters,” said Abdul-Malik al-Houthi, leader of the Iran-backed group.
According to Israeli authorities, the Houthis have launched multiple rocket and drone attacks against Israel since October 7, when Hamas militants from the besieged Gaza Strip launched an attack on southern Israel, killing about 1,200 people.
Since the Hamas attack, Israel has bombed Gaza and launched a ground offensive into the area. According to Palestinian authorities, more than 11,200 people were killed in the Israeli attack, including more than 4,600 children.
The war in Gaza has raised tensions across the region, with international organizations and political leaders warning of a possible larger war across the region.
The Iranian-backed Lebanese armed group Hezbollah has exchanged fire with Israeli forces on the Lebanese-Israeli border, and Iranian-backed armed groups have attacked U.S. forces in Syria and Iraq. In response, the US launched attacks in Syria.
The Houthis have emerged as a major player on the Arabian Peninsula, defying efforts to oust them through a Saudi-led intervention in Yemen that began in 2015 with U.S. support.
The Saudi bombing was criticized for contributing to a humanitarian disaster in the country and causing many civilian casualties, while the Houthis eventually expanded their control over areas in northern Yemen.
The war in Yemen is in a worrying stalemate. Fighting has stalled even though both sides have failed to extend a United Nations-backed ceasefire that expired in October.
Source : www.aljazeera.com